Gurdwara Shish Ganj is a prominent pilgrim center of the Sikh Community located at Chandni Chowk in Old Delhi. This popular Gurdwara was built at a location where Mughal Emperor Aurungzeb beheaded the ninth Sikh Guru, Shri Tegh Bahadur in 1675. The literal meaning of 'Shish' is head and this connotes the killing of the Guru by the Mughal Emperor. Along with the Guru, three of his followers namely Bhai Mati Das, Bhai Dyal Das and Bhai Sati Das were also tortured to death at that time.
Gurdwara Shish Ganj is popular not only amongst Sikhs, but is equally revered by the Hindus. It is said that the Guru's head was secretly taken to Anandpur Sahib by his followers, whereas his body was taken for cremation to a house which is now converted to Gurdwara Rakab Ganj. Gurdwara Sis Ganj Sahib is constructed as a symbol of martyrdom made by the guru. The permission to construct the Gurdwara was given in 1783.
Gurdwara Shish Ganj Sahib was demolished by the then rulers when it was first constructed by Sardar Baghel Singh. And towards the end of the revolt of 1857, Raja Sarup Singh Saheb, the ruler of Jind again started the building of the gurdwara. Later, devotees made changes in the building and converted it into a magnificent marble Gurdwara.
Being placed at Chandni Chowk in Old Delhi, which is one of the most popular attractions of the city, Gurdwara Shish Ganj receives many international tourists. Besides, several domestic tourists and local people also visit this Shrine everyday to pray and seek blessings. This Gurdwara is one of the revered Gurdwara's of the country and one of the most visited ones after Gurdwara Bangla Sahib in Delhi.